Civil Process is the processing of all paperwork related to civil and criminal court papers, including Sheriff’s Sales, as received from the court system. The clerk processes the incoming paperwork. Paper service is completed by the Road Deputies, given back to the clerks, who then process the return paperwork for court. This paperwork includes summons, subpoenas, motions of various types, papers relating to divorce, child support/custody, foreclosures, writs, and more.
The office also receives Orders of Sale of real property. There is a series of process that must take place through the Sheriff’s Office, which are prepared and executed through the clerk. This process includes appraisal, advertisement, sale, return to court, receipt of confirming entry, distribution of funds and sending deed to be recorded. A single sale takes from 3 – 6 months to process from start to finish.
The Civil Division is charged with the responsibility of processing Civil Documents such as Summons, Subpoenas, Writs, Executions, etc. from Courts in Ohio. Documents from any State in the United States will also be processed, but certain conditions apply (see Section below)
The Civil Division shall also execute process issued by another state only if it contains either of the following:
- A certification by the judge of the court that issued the process stating that the issuing court has jurisdiction to issue the process and that the documents being forwarded conform to the laws of the state in which the court is located.
- If the process is an initial summons to appear and defend issued after the filing of a complaint commencing an action, a certification by the clerk of the court that issued the process stating that the process was issued in conformance with the laws of the state in which the court is located.
After service is complete, the civil clerk prepares the Return for Court, or to where the document originated.
- Papers must be certified by the Judge of the issuing Court. Call the Civil Division at 419-424-7239 for help
- There is a $50.00 fee for each person or company to be served.
- Check or Money order accepted – NO PERSONAL CHECKS ACCEPTED
- Make checks payable to Hancock County Sheriff’s Office
- Send the following items to us
- ONLY papers to be served marked SERVE and stapled/clipped together
- A Return of Service marked RETURN for us to complete
- A Self-Addressed stamped envelope